History of Grapevine Bapitst Church
On September 3, 1933, a group of Christians met in the Grapevine School Building in Madisonville, Kentucky to organize the Grapevine Baptist Church. There were fifteen charter members and eleven more members were added by letter and baptism that day.
Rev. Rupert A. Utley was called as pastor of the new church and remained as pastor until his death, Feb 17, 1969. Later that year Rev. Bob Marine was called as pastor and served until 1972 followed by Rev. Ralph Gill who served until March 1983. In September 1983 the church called Rev. Clark Brown who served as pastor until October 1996. Rev. Jeff Hendricks was called as Pastor in January 1997 and served until February 2005. In September 2005 Bro. Jerry Gifford came to serve as Pastor and stayed until December of 2007.
Six deacons were ordained in November 1933, shortly after the church was organized. The church met in the Grapevine Schoolhouse and homes until 1936, when property was purchased and men erected a building. By 1941, the church had paid off all indebtedness.
On September of 1945, the church voted to have full time services and begin having all of its present regular services the first Sunday of 1946. The Sunday School and church continued to grow and an addition was added to the back of the building, the auditorium was also enlarged. The church paid off these additions by June 1956.
In December 1987 the church began construction on a complete new facility which will seat 450 in the auditorium for worship services. The building was completed in September 1988. The church held its first worship services in the new building on September 11, 1988. The church paid off all indebtedness in April 2000.
In July of 2001 the church began construction on a Family Life Center which includes gymnasium and educational space. The Sanctuary was also xpanded which added an additional 225 seats. The pulpit area was enlarged in size along with the Choir loft. The fellowship hall and church building were connected which allowed space for a Junior Choir and Adult Choir room; we also added an additional ladies restroom.
A Youth Ministry began in 1970 with Ray Hibbs called to serve as director. Steve Shirk, Frank Queen, Richard Barron, Mark Gill, Anthony Wilson, Shane O'Guinn, Chris Pendley, Scott Harris and Charlie Young have also served As Minister of Youth. In October 2006 Bro. Rick Marcus came to serve as full time Youth Minister.
The Baptist Hour Radio Program was broadcast from October 24, 1941 until the fall of 2006. It was a 45-minute program, aired each Sunday afternoon at 12:45 on 730 AM WFMW radio. The radio program was discontinued in the fall of 2006 and promotional commericals served in it's place. A Television ministry has also been added. Our Worship Service is televised twice each Sunday on Madisonville Cablecom, Channel 3, at 9:00 a.m., and 10:30 p.m.
Grapevine has ordained several deacons and ministers to the Gospel Ministry. We pray God will continue to bless until Jesus comes.